The pros & cons of working with a procurement agency
Procurement is a process used by businesses to obtain goods and services to fulfil their business objectives. In procurement, you perform different activities like sourcing and purchasing products and services from external companies for your personal use. If you are in procurement, you might know that the procurement procedure could be sometimes very challenging, and there are always some risks associated with procurement.
One way to overcome these challenges and risks is by hiring a professional procurement agency. The right procurement agency can play an essential role in your business's success. You need to understand the pros and cons of hiring a procurement agency because only then will you be able to know your business can benefit by outsourcing your procurement to a professional procurement agency.
What Can A Procurement Agency Do For You?
A procurement agency can represent your business and manage all the transactions with vendors and suppliers on your behalf. They can help you to find the suppliers and manufacturers for your desired products or goods and close a deal. Large businesses have a separate procurement department, but when it comes to small and medium-sized companies, they don't have enough budget to make a separate procurement department. So they hire different procurement agencies and work with them to fulfil their needs.
Before you start looking for a procurement agency, you need to know what roles and responsibilities they can perform on your behalf. Some of them are mentioned below:
● Evaluate suppliers and manufacturers, whether they are new or old.
● Help you build a substantial and long-term relationship with the suppliers.
● Help you to get the most competitive prices for your products.
● Help in negotiating with suppliers and forming a contact. They also monitor your contract from time to time.
● Perform quality checks on your products and ensuring they are according to your requirements and needs.
● Handle Shipping and Returns, etc.
These are some of the primary services that a procurement agency can provide for your business. Although the services are not limited to this list, we have mentioned the most common tasks that a procurement agency performs.
Pros of Working With A Procurement Agency
If you are running a small and medium-sized business, then the decision to hire a procurement agency is often very tough. So, before you take any step, it is crucial to understand the pros and cons. Following are the pros of hiring a procurement agency:
● They help you to establish a healthy relationship with your business with suppliers and manufacturers. A procurement agency manages the relationship between your company and its vendors. They act as your representatives and handle all transactions to ensure that your business keeps running, and you keep getting an appropriate supply of goods and services from your desired manufacturers. They help you to achieve your profit goals and contribute to the long-term success of your business.
● They help you by negotiating the deals on your behalf. They help you in performing market research and finding a supplier with the most competitive prices. The deal that they make with vendors on your behalf decides how much profit you will make. So, they have a significant impact on your business's profit margins.
● A procurement agency helps you with inventory crisis management. As we discussed earlier, a good procurement agency helps to build a strong relationship with buyers. Sometimes unexpected events can occur, and you may need to acquire products on an urgent basis for a valuable client. On urgent order, you will see a considerable increment in the prices of products from vendors. Suppose you have a sourcing agent who has well-established connections in the market. In that case, they can get your products manufactured on an urgent basis from a verified supplier at a very reasonable and affordable cost. So, a procurement agent could be a life saviour for you in times of crisis.
● A good procurement agent has a lot of industry knowledge. They are updated about the latest trends and prices. Whether they own a small business or large, business owners do not have time to manage all this stuff. It is challenging for them to settle a price with manufacturers and check which manufacturer is the most reliable. A procurement agency can do all this for you and save you from a lot of hassle.
● The most significant advantage that you get by hiring a procurement agency is saving your time and money. Sourcing could be a very time-consuming process when you are doing everything on your own. You have to visit different suppliers, negotiate with them, perform quality checks, then shipping your products, etc. It will cost you a lot of time and money. But, when you hire a procurement agency, they will handle all these tasks for you, and you can focus on other important things of your business without worrying about your procurement.
These are some of the benefits that you can get by hiring a procurement agency. One thing you must keep in mind is that there are always two sides to a coin. So, if there are benefits of hiring a procurement agency, then there are some disadvantages also.
Cons of Working With A Procurement Agency
Now let's flip the side of the coin and move towards the cons of working with a procurement agency.
● The first disadvantage of hiring a procurement agency is that it increases the cost. Although they help you to save money from your trades, some procurement agencies charge heavily to their customers for the services that they provide. So, it becomes difficult for some businesses to hire a procurement agency because they have a very unstable cash flow.
● It is a very challenging task to find the right procurement agent for your business. It takes a lot of time to find the right fit for your business. You are always looking for someone who can work on your behalf efficiently and does not charge much for their services. If you make a wrong decision when choosing a procurement agency, then you can suffer from a significant loss later in your business.
● When you work with a procurement agency, privacy is one of your main concerns because they have a lot of internal information about your business that must be kept confidential. So, you have to find a procurement agency that is reliable and trustworthy.
These are some of the cons that you have to face when working with a procurement agency. Make sure to do proper research and check the background of the procurement agency you are going to work with. When you decide to work with a procurement agency, make sure to make a valid contract with them. It should be in the form of an agreement, and it should be drafted properly. It will save your business from a lot of troubles that you can face later.
Still not sure about your project? Talk to our consultant